A lot of people are willing to go an extra mile just to gain respect from other people. To some, it’s not just a word, but something of great value that, heinous crimes are committed just so fear and respect are instilled in people.
Without respect, we can agree that we feel like we are at the bottom of the food chain, we feel powerless, and/or in other words, worthless. Respect goes a long way, from being the CEO of a great company to a class monitor at a primary school and all these people are known to be highly respected because of their status in the community at large.
Karma, as it is famously known, plays a huge role in what we long for, which is gaining respect from other people. What do I mean by this? I mean that, if you want to be respected by people, you must learn and respect people as well, it’s not a one side thing.
You expect to be respected but this is how you live your life:
1. You gamble with your paycheck and forget about your family back home. You don’t take care about your needs first, your health, giving out charity.
2. You party hard, go to the Club all night and sleep during the day. You have no purpose, you actually chose to have no purpose because you think you live by the infamous motto, “You only live once, so live to the fullest”, but you forget about the consequences, the results of the life now, to the day of tomorrow.
3. You don’t care about Humanity, you don’t care about life in general and you expect others to have respect towards you, to treat you good.
You long to be loved, to be respected, to be cared for, to be important to the society, yet you do the complete opposite to the same society you expect to receive a huge amount of respect from.
How do you earn respect from people? A simple question with a few easy and simple answers too. You must start with the small steps or small things of course:
- Be the first person in the room to greet people
- Be the helping hand most of the times. Offer help and support to people who need it as they say, it goes a long way.
- Give some space to people if they request of it and don’t engage yourself in other people’s business especially if you don’t want people to mingle in yours.
“Respect yourself and others will respect you.”
If you take a close look at some of the points I listed above, you will notice that they all have one main thing in common, which is being ‘good’. If you are good to people, most of the times the goodness you show to people always finds its way back to you, sooner or later.
We talked about karma before, in this case, good karma, that if you do good then surely good things comes back to you as it is with respect. Its safe to say that respect and being good, are to some extend one and the same thing.